Hello! I’m Tien Chiu, and I teach people how to design marvelous, well-made handwoven cloth. In my classes, blog, and newsletter, you'll discover the secrets of making handwoven projects that everyone will admire - … Read more
I’m a passionate weaver, writer, and teacher. My handwoven creations have won “Best in Show,” appeared on the cover of Handwoven magazine, and been collected by museums. I write frequently for weaving magazines. I love designing and weaving beautiful cloth – and I can help you do it, too.
What I Teach
Through my courses, coaching, and blog posts, you’ll learn the principles behind designing successful fabrics and how to apply them to make wonderful cloth. I will help you:
- • Design cloth to fit your needs – everything from light, gauzy transparencies to sturdy upholstery fabric
- • Confidently choose and use your own colors
- • Produce beautiful handwoven projects that others admire.
Join my newsletter and get my FREE e-book Color Secrets! Three Keys to Making Crisp, Clear Designs.
I’ll be launching an online class soon, Fearless Color! How to Design Beautiful Handwoven Cloth.
This course will teach you:
- • How colors interact in handwoven cloth
- • How to choose warp and weft colors to create a bold or subtle pattern
- • How to pick a draft (or weave structure) that suits your preferred palette
- • How to test your color choices so you can move forward with assurance.
I also offer 1:1 tutoring for people who want to learn how to create beautiful handwoven cloth. Simply choose a topic that you’re struggling with, pick a tutoring option, and I’ll help you master it.
My handwoven wedding dress, now in a museum